At last, back in Adelaide and studying once more...
The school year has begun yet again... only that I missed two weeks of class and I'm left to catch up with what I've missed.
Honestly, I wouldn't miss school without a darn good reason (well, sometimes the lazy bug bites me and I will succumb to it.. that's called ponteng-ing). Anyway, to cut the long story short, I (or at least my dad) couldn't book me-self and me brother an earlier ticket back to Adelaide because they were all sold out. So... I had a wonderful extra two weeks of holidays where I got to spend CNY with my friends. After all, who knows when I'm going back to Kuching.
So after two weeks of extra drenching, soaking and trudging around in the rain (it was raining in Kuching during CNY), I found myself packing up my clothes for yet another time. Frankly, I was a wee bit teary and stressed (who knew packing clothes was that stressful?) but together with my brother we both found ourselves boarding a flight to Singapore thinking, "Why does time fly when we're having fun?" A few friends came to send me off (very sweet of them, love you guys!) and admittedly at that moment, I was wondering what we would look like in a few years time.
I remember my friends in Kuching (I know most of them are in KL now) as really the best type of friends that anyone could have. They stuck with me through thick and thin and most of all taught me many lessons that I wouldn't ask to learn differently for. I remember small little incidents as if they happened yesterday or even the day before, only to discover that they all but happened years ago...
I used to tell myself, I would remember every single detail of my life. But now, I know that that's impossible. I just remember the good things so that I can always cherish it when I reminisce and I will always remember the bad things just to remind myself whenever I reflect on the past. 17 rich years of my life, lead in a typical urbanised Malaysian way. Tuition, homework, watching TV and bullying my siblings. What I would give just to relive those years again...
But, the fact is these past years are the constant reminders that time does not wait for anyone. With most of us (1991-lings), pushed out of our comfort zone, plucked out from stable, familiar surroundings and shuffled into foreign, unwelcoming societies. I guess most of us by now have learnt that the real world isn't really a wonderful place after all. I guess most of us by now realise how good it is to be home even it is just for a day. I guess most of us by now understand that the sacrifices that our parents make just to bring us up is really the sole reason why we have made it this far and that with each passing day, we learn so much from each other that really that's just what families do best - 'stick together'.
Sigh... that was hard. I guess, even though I kept telling myself that I would be fine I guess I never really did feel like I would be. Not until I typed all this down that I realise that there really is no turning back now. I realise that I can't keep looking back. I realise I need to let it all sink in.
With roughly 9 months left to this school year... I guess I haven't reach my breaking point yet. In fact, I might have several more.
Oh well... the countdown begins.
No comments:
Post a Comment